sábado, 8 de janeiro de 2011

Sorry, Mom…

… but this post will be about food.

I mean, of course I talk about food. In a regular basis.

But it’s been a while since I actually posted a food picture here. Maybe a few months..? Anyway. The point is, I won’t be posting food pictures the way I used to anymore.

My days of every-morsel-of-food-photographer are over.

And I don’t mean to take food pictures too often (so soon).

It can be a great way to track calories for those who want to loose weight, and it can be fun in general for those who are food bloggers. But I learned that it quickly became a somewhat obsessive habit to me.

So I’d rather take no daily food pics. At least, for a while… or until I’m ok with it. I’m used to read blogs like Gabriela’s, Kath’s or Tina’s – and they usually post their daily eats. I think there’s nothing wrong with it. Actually, I just might become a true food-blogger someday (as I truly love the nutrition/fitness topic), but for now… I think I’ll challenge myself “secretely”.

My goal is to be back with a “deemed un-healthy” food pic from something I ate. Does that sound like a challenge? Haha.

Well, enough with the explanations. Let’s get to the point here.

While at Grandma’s (and Dad’s) house, I tried a few recipes. First one was basically inspired in some bloggers’ recipes (like Ashley, Caroline, etc) for nut butters – walnut butter.

DSCF6394

No exact mesurements for this one – I just threw some walnuts in a bowl and used Grandma’s hand mixer – that’s maybe why it turned out a little too dry. I did a little taste-test and thought something was missing…

DSCF6397

And a little salt did the trick! It tasted good. I planned on mixing it again the next day (to make it more creamy), but Grandma’s sister (who was staying with us for NYE) accidentaly threw it away. Too bad :/

Grandma says we should totally do this again, though! She’s lovely ;)

For the next one, I used no recipe at all – I wanted to make a vegetable-based recipe “from the scratch”, make up my own recipe. The result?

DSCF6401

A little burnt, but delicious nonetheless. I really suck at coming up with names, so… I could use some suggestions. I’ll give y’all the recipe, you name it. Deal?

Ingredients:

- 1 medium eggplant

- 1 large zucchi

- 1 cup tomato sauce (you may use a little less if you want)

- Cottage Cheese (for sprinkling on top, I used about 1/4 cup)

- 1 cup ricotta cheese

- 1/2 a can of canned tomatoes (optional)

Directions:

Slice the zucchini and the eggplant. Spread about 1-2 tbsp of tomato sauce in a medium bake pan, then start placing the slices of zucchini and eggplant until you covered all its surface. Spread a little more tomato sauce (and a canned tomato or two, if you like), then place the ricotta a tbsp at a time. Cover it with more vegetable slices, then repeat the same process. Upon your last layer of vegetables, spread the leftover tomato sauce and then sprinkle the cottage cheese. Bake for 20 minutes on medium heat, or until cooked and golden.

Too bad I was the only one who ate this on NYE. I ate the whole tray in about 4 days. I had a very happy tummy :)

And now a snack I’m obsessed about. When I don’t feel like having a real dinner, I simply throw a bigger amount of these same ingredients and call it a night. Such a delicious combo!

Ladies and gentleman, I present you…

DSCF6461

Fiber One Cereal, Frozen Banana Slices and a blob of Peanut Butter.

C’mon, people. Doesn’t it SOUND amazing?!

Who needs yogurt when you could have a cereal mess. Haha.

And, since I mentioned frozen bananas… I’ve been really loving frozen fruit these days! Bananas, Mangoes (I wish I could try raspberries and blueberries, but they’re too expensive around here)… It’s awesome.

I have a few more recipes/combos/food pics to share, but I’ll keep that for another post. Hope you’re having a great weekend, guys!

xoxo

G.

P.S.: Oh, and I almost forgot to say this – yesterday was Mom’s birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOMMY!

31122009020

Mom, Me and my sister Bruna (On NYE, 2009/2010)

DSCF1413

Having fun at Harvard’s Square Parade

DSCF1582

Ice-skating on Central Park (I wish I’d learn how to ice-skate like her)

DSCF1241 

At her birthday party last year (and yes, I’m re-using the NYE dress, ok?)

DSCF6492

At her birthday party yesterday

Love you, Moms. You know that, right?

:)

Don’t forget to send me your name suggestions for my zucchini and eggplant recipe! I don’t want to sounds desperate… But I am. Hahaha.

See you guys soon!

52 comentários:

  1. Aww, your family is so cute! Also, making your own nut butters is tons of fun, because you can add spices and other fun stuff.

    Hmm...looking at what you made, how about Ratatouille Casserole?

    ResponderExcluir
  2. I think you should do whatever works for you in terms of pictures, not follow what other bloggers are doing, so if this is what works for you then great!
    Happy Birthday to your mom :)

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Happy birthday to your mom!

    That recipe sounds great! I might call it cottage cheese veggie bake, but idk ;)

    your eats look so good, and I am glad you have been having a great time!

    Scott

    ResponderExcluir
  4. Both recipes look good. I really want to try making peanut butter soon. Good luck with your new posting! I can't wait to read about it.

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Walnut butter!? I've never heard of it, sounds amazing though. I'm going to have to get on it sometime.

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Oooh I had FiberOne yesterday! So tasty!

    And your family is adorable! Happy birthday to your mom! :)

    ResponderExcluir
  7. January 2012, wow! That's so cool that you have planned a 5k for then and are committing to it. You are going to do great because you will have a whole year to prep for it! Good luck with your training!

    ResponderExcluir
  8. Eggplant Zucchini bake. Okay, I'm not very good at coming up with names either!! haha

    Happy Birthday from your Mom! I see where you got your good looks from! :)

    ResponderExcluir
  9. Happy birthday to your Mother! Your eggplant and zucchini dish looks fab! Yum!

    ResponderExcluir
  10. Walnut butteeeeeeeeer!! I think I made that ONCE?! OR maybe it was pecans?! Anyway.......it csme out FAIR... I Think I need to adjust my recipe.

    And that veggie dish sounds amaaaaazing!! i love lasagna and that has many of the same ingredients!!


    Hmm... what else!? Oh, well, I think your blog should be about YOU and whatever you want to talk about. I don't think you need to take a picture of everything you eat!! I sure dont anymore!! Just post what you WANT and love to talk about! Whether it be food, friends, life, sports, health, arts and crafts, books.........ANYTHING!


    happy weekend gorgeous Gabriela!

    ResponderExcluir
  11. That cereal does sound amazing! I am totally addicted to Fiber One :)

    ResponderExcluir
  12. Thanks for the great recipe! Your mom is gorgeous, by the way:)

    ResponderExcluir
  13. That eggplant dish looks awesome...I LOVE eggplant. Definitely my favorite vegetable. :)

    ResponderExcluir
  14. Happy birthday to your mommy!! From the ingredients you listed, sounds like you made a pizza-ish kind of thing! Maybe you could call it crustless pizza :P

    ResponderExcluir
  15. Your mother is gorgeous! It looks like you have such a loving family :)

    And no worries about the dress - I tend to rock mine for multiple big events lol

    Try using your eggplant to make eggplant parm subs! I'm sure they'd be delicious!

    ResponderExcluir
  16. Walnut butter sounds amazing! I've tried to make my own nut butter once and it didn't really get creamy either. Still tasted good though.

    ResponderExcluir
  17. That's what makes it fun! I love reading the VARIETY of blogs that are out there : )

    xo

    ResponderExcluir
  18. I think you don't have to post your daily intakes to be a food bloggers! Lovely recipes like those above do the trick perfectly!

    Your recipe looks like a veggie lasagna or vegetarian moussaka. :)

    And now I need to try to make nut butter! :D

    ResponderExcluir
  19. How about "Save the Pasta, Eat THIS Lasagna"

    ResponderExcluir
  20. You should do whatever works for you when it comes to blogging. I don't think that to be a foodie or a food blogger you have to post every single thing you eat, so don't let that deter you from your goals!

    ResponderExcluir
  21. Good for you for making the decision not to photograph. I did for a while. It isn't for anyone -- I have also realized that it wasn't good for me. Good luck! And your family is adorable. :)

    ResponderExcluir
  22. I don't take pics of all my food either, especially since my breakfasts are usually the same smoothie and lunches leftovers from dinner or salads - it gets old quick. :-) Rather I like to post new foods and recipes I'm trying. The eggplant dish sounds wonderful, maybe call it Veggie Melt? I love making my own walnut butter in a food processor. The Fiber One looks great and it would probably be better after throwing that mixture in a food processor for a fiber banana "oatmeal". :-)

    Cute pics, such a fun family!

    ResponderExcluir
  23. Thanks for visiting me! I've never made my own nut butter before, but it looks fun. :)

    ResponderExcluir
  24. Hey sweets! I so appreciate our ability to keep up a healthy lifestyle without access to almond butter. Can't wait to come visit you in Brazil :) BTW: I've nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award... Can't wait to see what's in store over here at Fro Yo Lover!

    ResponderExcluir
  25. your veggie dish looks mouth watering! And I miss fiber one so much! They dont have it in France :(

    ResponderExcluir
  26. Congrats to you on doing what works and is best for you!!!!

    ResponderExcluir
  27. WOW!! You are amazing! Way to realize that it didn't work for you and fix the problem. You are absolutely gorgeous!

    ResponderExcluir
  28. post what you want . . . i think the more 'different' blogs are the most fun :)

    the walnut butter looks intriguing!

    ResponderExcluir
  29. veggie star lasagna?

    Hmm..maybe you can come up with better! Looks great either way!

    And I once tried doing the food blogger every meal photo and it drove me NUTS! Not for me!!

    ResponderExcluir
  30. Love the look of that courgette/aubergine dish! There's a British recipe called cottage pie that's nothing like it (minced beef with mashed potato) but, because of the cottage cheese, you could call it Not Cottage Pie...?!
    And happy birthday to your mum :-)

    ResponderExcluir
  31. awe your family is so beautiful! happy birthday to your mama!!!

    Dana xo

    ResponderExcluir
  32. I love frozen fruit too, especially bananas!! And walnut butter is suchh a good idea. Tell your mom happy birthday!

    ResponderExcluir
  33. Hey girl! I am with you on the specifics of food blogging. I post many meals, but somedays I don't. I don't want that to be the foundation of my blog format, I think it would drive me crazy. But at the same time, I love sharing recipes and stuff. I would most likely call the recipe a "zucchini and eggplant bake" simple but it works!

    ResponderExcluir
  34. Happy Belated Birthday to your mom!! All of you are absolutely gorgeous. :)

    I'm really uncreative when it comes to naming things. Uh, how about.. Zucchini and Eggplant Delight? Haha! Yeah, I'm not good at this.

    ResponderExcluir
  35. I've tried making walnut butter, too! I found I like it better when I do walnuts and almonds!

    ResponderExcluir
  36. Awww cutest family!! That eggplant casserole looks delish!!

    ResponderExcluir
  37. Yumm walnut butter sounds soo good!! And your food looks yummy :)

    ResponderExcluir
  38. Yum! That veggie & ricotta combo sounds so good! I love ricotta cheese, and the low fat stuff ain't bad, so that could be a pretty healthy recipe!!!

    ResponderExcluir
  39. happy bday to your mama!

    your food looks delish!

    i was trying to comment the other day but my computer was glitching up on me...thanks for having me on your blogroll :)

    ResponderExcluir
  40. Hey love! I’m just letting you know that I chose you as one my favorite bloggers to receive the “Stylish Blogger Award” because I adore your blog! Here’s the link to the post http://tastyandtrim.com/?p=3240 Have an amazing weekend :)

    ResponderExcluir
  41. Happy Birthday to your mom!

    I have actually never made any nut butters from scratch. Sometimes I wish I had a food processor for that reason! Looks yum!

    ResponderExcluir
  42. Zucchini is the best :)

    If true food blogging is becoming an obsessive habit, I would take a break from it like you. I think taking care of ourselves is more important than taking pictures of what we eat! Hope your doing well!!

    ResponderExcluir
  43. i think u just created the perfect little snack/meal bowl- fibre cereal, banana and nut butter! yes to all three!!! <3

    and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOMMMMAAA!!!! <3

    ResponderExcluir
  44. Walnut butter!!!! YUM!!!! Happy b-day to your Momma!

    ResponderExcluir
  45. I don't have the time to post every meal I eat or cook. It's not for everyone.

    Your casserole looks really good--I'd probably call it something lame like "Cheesy Veggie Bake!"

    ResponderExcluir
  46. That bowl of cereal mess looks pretty darn tasty!

    ResponderExcluir
  47. Just found your blog. I LOVE froyo! Self serve is the best. :)

    ResponderExcluir
  48. That NYE dress was definitely too cute to nut re-wear! :) Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ResponderExcluir
  49. Those recipes look great!!! I definitely want to try some :)

    ResponderExcluir