sábado, 30 de janeiro de 2010

Welcome to the U.S. – Days 2 and 3

Hey, everyone!

So, I´m sorry for not blogging yesterday… But I thought we had no internet service in here (at least, not for free). But we did. Which makes me a complete fool. Hehe ;)

Oh, well. The trip has been AMAZING so far. I´m loving it. Just like McDonald´s ;)

Oh, ok. Let me get back to where we stopped… Yesterday morning. January 28th.

We woke up super early (well, it is early if you´re me), by 8am. Then, we both took a bath and got ready for breakfast – at Starbucks :)

DSCF1357

Excited to have a real american breakfast :D

I´ve had a small Skinny Vanilla Latte with a Egg White, Spinach and Feta Wrap. I´ve always wanted to try it!

DSC01851

Yummy and warm. Ahhh… :)

DSC01852

My beautiful breakfast

DSC01853

Mom´s breakfast: Yogurt Parfait

Then, we took the subway to Harvard Square.DSCF1376

In the subway

I was REALLY EXCITED to see Harvard! It was always a dream for me.

DSCF1383

A dream that came true!

Which remembers me about another dream I´ve had: seeing snow. Which came true, TOO!

DSCF1390

I started dancing in the street. Of hapiness ;)

DSCF1392

The real deal!

We decided to have lunch before the tour. Did I tell you we went on a Harvard Tour?! :D

It was freezing, so we kinda stopped and the first place Mom thought was decent: Dunkin´Donuts.

DSC01859

I´ve had a egg-white veggie omelet and cheese sandwich (at least, that´s what I think it was) with a small Lite Latte. Warm and delicious ;)

DSC01861

Mom chose the Reduced-Fat Blueberry Muffin. So her.

After lunch, we went back to Harvard Square to meet the tour group. Our guide was a Harvard student. She was so nice and smart :)

DSCF1395

Getting started

DSCF1396

Walking through the snow!

DSCF1399

Sciences Center

DSCF1403

Where they graduate

DSCF1405

Mom trying to get lucky

DSCF1411

Watching the parade, right after the tour

DSCF1413

Mom and Elvis. Or a Harvard student dressed like him.

After the tour and the parade, we actually went ot through Cambridge area. We (kinda) visited Arlington, Waterfront, and places around. We even stopped for a bit at Boston´s College :)

DSCF1424

Snow-y path!

DSCF1436

Mom and Bob (the old man that showed us the whole area)

Bob left us at Newbury St., right in front of Prudential Center. It was snowing hard, so we had no choice – we had to have dinner at Prudential Center. What a sacrifice, huh? ;)

DSCF1440

Mom and her lobster

DSCF1439

Me and my plate

I ordered a grilled chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli. YUMMY.

DSC01864

Yeah. Really yummy.

After dinner, we spent a few hours at Barnes&Nobel. I wanted to buy the whole store (sshsh!), but I managed to buy just a gift for a friend. Mom spent a lot there (yoga books for pregnant women, gifts for everyone she knows, and a cute puzzle).

Day 3 started by 9:30am – not so early in the morning. I was really excited to meet Elina (from Healthy and Sane) for lunch :)

Me and Mom had to take a shower and get ready before leaving, which means we went out by 11am. Oopsie ;)

I couldn´t have a real breakfast or I wouldn´t be hungry for lunch, so we stopped at Starbucks (on our way to Newbury St.) to have a cup of coffee.

DSCF1443

My breakfast: 1 Peanut Butter granola bar and a Café Misto with skim milk

DSC01866

This. Was. Heaven.

I actually LOVED the Peanut Butter bar! It was amazing! I don´t know why don´t they have this stuff in Brazil! It´s amazingly good! :)

We spent some time to find b.good. It was already 20 past noon when we did. Which was actually a good thing, so we could warm up a little bit while we waited for Elina :)

She was the nicest. Really. We had such a great time, she´s really an inspiration to me. She´s healthy-minded, you know? Life´s not just about fats and calories, but healthy living. I think I got the whole thing now ;)

DSCF1446

She´s the best ;)

Mom was out during our lunch. She said she wanted to visit a church, and that she wanted me to have a real conversation with Elina, just beeing myself. Which was kinda nice of her. I could actually say what I think, without worrying about upsetting Mom.

b.good is a kind of “healthy fast-food” restaurant. I loved the concept behind it, and the food was truly amazing. I ordered Cousin Oliver´s veggie burger with a side of vegetables and water. Pure yuminess, hahaha.

DSC01867

My burguer…

DSC01869

I think it looks better thing way, hehe.

DSC01868

Side of (steamed, I think) veggies.

It was really amazing. She even gave us a few tips. It´s a pity that, right after lunch, Mom started feeling kinda sick. Baby Mig needed a rest. So we got back to the hotel, and I checked my e-mail while Mom rested. We stayed at the hotel for about 1 1/2 hours, so we gave up our plans to visit Fenway Park. It was already dark and cold outside :/

But we still wanted to do something in our last night in Boston, so we asked the hotel guy to give us suggestions. He offered us half-price tickets to a play at Huntington Theatre called “All My Sons”. We couldn´t say no ;)

So we went outside to shop the last few gifts we wanted to buy at Boston (like Harvard´s shirts, and stuff like that) at Prudential Center. It is a really HUGE place!

DSC01876

I had my 2nd Peanut Butter granola bar by 6:45pm. It was still really nice ;)

DSC01877

And, before getting back to the hotel, we stopped for some coffee. Well, Mom had tea and I had a tall Skinny Vanilla Latte. They don´t have this in Brazil, either. Too bad ;)

We had to run back to the hotel, ´cause we were already late. The play started at 8pm. In the end, it all went well. We got there just before the doors were opened :)

DSCF1453

Happily waiting for the door to open ;)

DSCF1456

Inside the theater

It was such a deep, interesting play. I loved it. It was about a situation right after World War II, that involved a missing son, two different fathers, and two different sides of the story. Mom loved it, too ;)

Through the 2nd act, I snacked on 1/3 of my old Oat´n Honey granola bar.

DSC01879

You can´t just waste this kind of stuff ;)

After the end of the play, Mom decided we should have dinner at the nearest restaurant. Which was a “pizzeria-steakhouse” kind of restaurant. It was cool ;)

DSCF1467

Me and Mom, when our plates arrived

I ordered a chicken-and-vegetables pasta with marinara sauce. Which was hugely amazing.

DSC01882

Like I said, huge. But I tried to eat my fair share ;)

I had 1 1/2 glasses of Iced Tea with my meal. I was thristy, hehe.

DSC01880

Pretty big glass.

But we had a great time. We´re definetely missing Boston. I wasn´t even able to meet Tina, something I really wanted to do in a near future ;)

Well, who knows? I might be coming back soon… Hahaha. A girl can dream, right?

Oh, and speaking about dreaming, that´s what I should do right now. Train to NY departs at 10:30am! Pretty early!

So, yeah. See you guys in NY!

XOXO,

G.

5 comentários:

  1. Looks like you're having a great time! I've visited friends at Harvard and Boston College, and they're both beautiful. Glad to see you're loving Starbucks, too...and PB Nature Valley Bars are the best flavor! Have a safe trip to NYC and let me know if you need anything!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. looks like a blast! foodie heaven :) esp that spinach egg feta wrap mmm. feta makes everything taste so good! Have a fun trip chica!

    ResponderExcluir
  3. heyyyyyy!!!! looks like you had so much fun! : )
    hopefully you will be back!

    stay safe and warm in NY!!

    ResponderExcluir
  4. can't believe you're in teh states, how cool! and you met up with gabriela, i saw on her blog! how fun :) have a great rest of your trip!

    ResponderExcluir